Death Theory #1: Hypothermia
- His body was so well preserved that most scientists think that he froze quickly after his death. The cold turned his body into a mummy with yellow, leathery skin.
- Because the weather can change rapidly in the Alps, some scientists believe that Otzi could have died of hypothermia. Hypothermia occurs when the body temperature drops significantly. In other words, many think that Otzi froze to death.
- Many claim that it is easy to become disoriented in the Alps. Could Otzi have lost his way and died of hypothermia?
- Otzi's muscle tissue was badly decomposed, as was the outer layer of his skin. This can happen when a body is submerged in very cold water. Did Otzi fall through thin ice into water and was not able to escape?
- When suffering from hypothermia, sometimes a warm sensation can overcome a person's body Otzi was found without his clothes on. Did he remove his clothing as he felt this warming sensation of hypothermia?
- The hole in the back of the head probably came from a pecking bird.