Death Theory #3: Assassination
- Otzi's joints had very little deterioration, which means he probably did not perform many physical tasks. What kind of job did Otzi have? Was Otzi a community or religious leader?
- Otzi could have been assassinated in a power-play conflict. He did not suspect the arrow that came from behind. Did some of the village people not like his politics or religious service to the community? Maybe one of his followers had a disagreement with him and murdered him.
- Otzi also had some mushrooms known for their medicinal value. Was he a medicine man, like a shaman (religious leader), who used his powers to heal people?
- Otzi had mysterious tattoos on his body. Did these markings have religious significance? Was he a shaman or religious leader?
- Copper axes were valuable and a sign of power. Some say that only a leader would own an axe like this one.